Welcome to Your Patient-Centered Medical Home
A patient centered medical home is an approach to providing total health care with a team that includes health care professionals, family members, and you. In your medical home, you and your team will work together as one. You will have a chance to talk about things that are important to you. Together, you and your team can work on a plan that is created just for you. Working with your team will improve your overall health. A medical home uses a team approach to provide YOU with the heath care that you need. YOU and your health care are at the center of your medical home team.
During your appointment, write down the names of your team members and make sure to ask your team for the after-hours contact information.
The Medical Home Advantage
When you have a medical home, there are many benefits.
- Comprehensive care means your team helps you address any health issue at any stage in your life.
- Coordination of care occurs when any combination of services you and your provider decide you need are connected and ordered.
- All your referrals to outside specialists/agencies will be tracked and recorded to insure that every aspect of your care is managed.
- Continuous care occurs over time with timely communication about services from your health care team.
- Accessible care allows you to start the interaction you need for any health issue with a team member through your desired method (office visit, phone, or email).
- Proactive care ensures you and your provider will build a care plan to address your health goals.
Use This Checklist for Your Next Appointment
- Make a list of any other health care providers you have visited. Write down their names, phone numbers, and the reason you have visited them.
- Take all of your medications, in their original containers, to your appointment. Be sure to include prescription, over the counter, natural and herbal medicines, and vitamins.
- Take your insurance card or other insurance information with you to your appointment.
- Make sure you know the things that you are to work on before your next appointment.
You have the right to obtain care from other providers within the Patient Center Medical Home, to seek a second opinion, and to seek specialty care.
Here’s Your Role
Be an active team player
- Understand that you are a full partner in your own health care.
- You may choose a provider, or one may be assigned to you by our staff, if you wish.
- Learn about your condition and what you can do to stay as healthy as possible. Ask questions about your health.
- Follow the care plan that you and your medical team have agreed is best for your health.
- Set goals you can reach. Once you begin to see results, you and your team can discuss adding new goals.
Communicate with your medical home team
- Bring a list of questions to each appointment. If you don’t get them answered the first time, bring them to your next appointment.
- If you don’t understand something your provider or team member says, ask them to explain it in a different way.
- If you get care from other health professionals, always tell your medical home time so they can coordinate the best care possible.
- Talk openly with your care team about your experience in getting care from the medical home.